- ON December 9-10, 2022, His Excellency the President, Hon. William Samoei RUTO, PHD., C.G.H., undertook an official visit to the State of Eritrea on the invitation of his host, H.E. President Isaias AFWERKI.
- Following warm and cordial deliberations between the two Leaders, the following was agreed upon;
On Bilateral Issues;
1. The two Excellencies agreed to bolster bilateral relation between Kenya and Eritrea as well as improving people-to-people ties with a view to enhancing and entrenching regional integration. To this end, the two countries shall abolish visa requirements for their respective citizens. The two countries will also cooperate in the African Union in the spirit of Pan-Africanism.
On Regional and Multilateral Issues:
2. The two leaders agreed to work together and consult on regional integration and to safeguard regional peace, security and development in the Horn of Africa.
In this vein, the two Leaders noted the need for firm and inspired leadership in the region, with a view of ensuring and guaranteeing peace and stability in the countries of the region.
On Matters of Trade and Regional Cooperation
3. The two leaders underscored the importance of promoting regional trade and investment through developing regional land, sea and air transport. They noted the need for overcoming current challenges through regional initiatives that would benefit from economies of scale and pooling of resources.
Done on this the 10th day of December in Asmara, Eritrea.