Agenda item 117
Implementation of the resolutions of the United Nations
Suspension of the rights of membership of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya in the Human Rights Council
The General Assembly,
• Recalling its resolution 60/251 of 15 March 2006, in particular paragraph 8, which states that the General Assembly may suspend the rights of membership in the Human Rights Council of a member of the Council that commits gross and systematic violation of human rights.
• Noting Human Rights Council resolution S-15/1 of 25 February 2011,
• Welcoming the statement issued by the League of Arab States on 22 February 2011 and the communiqué issued by the Peace and Security Council of the African Union on 23 February 2011.
• Expressing deep concern about the human rights situation in the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya,
1. Decides to suspend the rights of membership in the Human Rights Council of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya:
2. Decides to review the matter, as appropriate”
The Eritrean government believes that it would be legally and morally unjustified to pass a motion or a resolution on the “suspension of the right of membership of the Libyan Arab Jamahiriya in the UN Human Rights Council” without/ before conducting appropriate full and independent investigation on the matter.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs
March 2, 2011